- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Full Time
- Digital Strategy & Products
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
CBC/Radio-Canada is the largest broadcaster in Canada, and this team is at the very heart of its streaming experience. The AV Platform team is responsible for building, maintaining and supporting the workflows that transport CBC and Radio-Canada’s production from our studios across Canada to Canadians’ devices, offering the best online and live streaming experience. In this role, you will be working with production teams located mainly in Toronto and Montreal and interacting with content producers located across the country. All of whom aim to offer Canadians the best streaming experience possible.
The team has built a new tool that centralizes all of the CBC/Radio-Canada on-demand and live video streams, connecting the different parts of our broadcast infrastructure to offer a fully integrated experience to our internal users. This software will allow content producers to easily program their streams and our broadcast operators to seamlessly put them online on all of CBC/Radio-Canada’s platforms and social media. This application relies heavily on APIs from different vendors.
CBC/Radio-Canada’s video content is accessed by millions of Canadians each month, seeking to be informed and entertained. We are seeking a Technical Architect to design and guide technical decisions for our product You will have the ability to work alongside an Agile team of full-stack developers, UX experts, QA Automation Developers.
As the Technical Architect, you will guide and support 5+ developers and be accountable for technical decisions for the products and services provided by the team. As the subject matter expert, you will be consulted for your deep knowledge and expertise, and advise on complex technical and architectural issues requiring detailed analysis and thoughtful considerations on functional and non-functional requirements.
We are open to qualified candidates who reside within Canada, but the CBC’s Digital Strategy & Products department is located in Toronto. While we are currently working remotely, the need to be in-office on occasion when it is safe to do so continues to exist.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Hybrid work environment with flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work (Note: we are fully remote until masks are no longer required to be worn indoors);
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
Evolve a critical media workflow platform that sees videos and live streams from encoding, ingestion to publishing. You will:
- Focus on optimization, not only in terms of improving user experience but also supporting technical transformations that would improve the quality of the product.
- Design architecture and solutions of the product, system or technical component the team is responsible for.
- Be accountable for all technical aspects: functional integrity, scalability, resilience, stability and operational excellence.
Champion best practices in architecture and design. You will:
- Coach and mentor developers in the team, including design and code review.
- Bring to light architectural issues that require broader consultation and review.
- Drive collaboration on technical issues for the product or solutions you are working on.
- Guide implementation and continuous improvement of the product.
- Help to maintain quality, availability and performance standards by designing and implementing corresponding metrics / measurements.
- Ensure features adhere to regulatory, governance and certification requirements defined by the industry and governing bodies.
Resolve problems. You will:
- Diagnose and resolve technical issues, including system tuning, optimization.
- Develop reusable technical frameworks or assets.
- Build a legacy of technical capabilities for the team.
- Coordinate and support development activities like estimation, coding, testing, debugging and bug fix.
What you could bring to our team:
- The technical skills. You have exposure to frontend frameworks such as React, Angular, or VueJs and backend tools such as Java, Python, or Node.js. You have familiarity with the Agile development methodology. And, you are comfortable with holistic software development approaches that incorporate automation, observability, CI/CD techniques.
- The experience. You are a senior full stack developer with three or more years of experience, looking for your next career move. Or, you are already in an architecture role and looking for new challenges. You are experienced in designing and delivering complex software solutions that are performant, scalable and resilient. You have a proven ability to develop in depth knowledge on integrated systems and technical components. You are well versed in architectural principles and key concepts with a track record of promoting good architectural design and development practices. You may have exposure to specialized media processing software, including ad insertion.
- The leadership skills. You have a demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership and architectural guidance for medium to large scale systems or implementations. You have led the work of a small team, taking ownership for the deliverables of the team, removing roadblocks, and providing guidance. You are open to diverse perspectives and collaborate on development and other technical areas.
- The interpersonal skills. You are a relationship builder. You know how to listen and empathize with others. You have excellent verbal and written skills and can defend your choices. You enjoy working with people and sharing your knowledge with them. You are constantly curious and continuously learning.
- The education. We are less interested in formal degrees, while you may have an academic background in Computer Science, we value know-how over theory. Qualified candidates may be subject to a practical assessment of the above requirements.
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.