IT Project Lead (Storage Specialist)
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
Behind the scenes, but ahead of the curve: help us develop the next-generation public broadcaster.
Created in 2015 to align, lighten and modernize infrastructure, the Technology and Infrastructure team is the backbone and the future forward arm of CBC/Radio-Canada. We are the people that make stuff work. We make connections; between media content, systems, people and places. We are the space in between.
A place with purpose. CBC/Radio-Canada has always been a highly-regarded pioneer of media technology. Not just in Canada, but around the world. Today, we’re transforming ourselves from a conventional radio and television broadcaster into a modern digital media company. Technology is the driving force and we are the team making it happen.
CBC/Radio-Canada is looking for an IT Project Lead (Storage Specialist) to join our Engineering team to lead and take part in projects focused on IT and Telecommunications. The successful incumbent will be based in Montreal, working primarily on local projects, with eventual and occasional travel to Toronto. CBC/Radio-Canada operates one of the world’s leading technology infrastructures and one of the largest private networks, which distributes its content and services exclusively across the country. In this position, you will play an essential role in the design, optimization and project delivery, including updating, installing, configuring and testing equipment, software and systems. You will ensure the design and implementation of systems you supervise in accordance with CBC/Radio-Canada and industry best practices as well as current federal and provincial regulations.
What’s in it for you?
Challenges. We spend our days solving problems on an unbelievable scale. Media files are highly nuanced and incredibly complicated; updating, installing and supporting technologies that are organization-wide and that impact broadcasting content is a time-sensitive, complex technical feat. And that’s just the beginning. You will manage the end-to-end project implementation from proposal and procurement to design, implementation, testing and handover. Not to mention, you will be working with cutting edge technology in data management, cloud migration, IP for broadcast, AI and security and reliability.
As our new IT Project Lead (Storage Specialist), you will:
- Design innovative, practical solutions to complex problems, particularly where new technologies are to be integrated into existing facilities.
- Create and track the schedules and budgets for capital projects; monitoring progress to ensure compliance with scope and objectives.
- Prepare functional, schematic, layout drawings and detailed installation instructions for wiring crews.
- Oversee the procurement from writing and requesting quotes and proposals to evaluating tender responses and making recommendations.
- Verify system performance against design criteria, ensuring identified deficiencies are corrected and providing documentation for ongoing operation and maintenance of facilities.
- Participate in strategic planning, providing expert advice on cost, timeframe and feasibility of capital requirements.
- Create concept designs for review with our business partners.
- Conceptualize alternative solutions which satisfy defined objectives.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- The Education. A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Telecommunications’ Engineering, or a Diploma In Applied Science and Technology.
- You may be a systems administrator or engineer ready to move into a project leadership role or currently in a leadership role looking to gain experience in a technically advanced environment.
- The Experience. Experience in designing, planning, and supervising the implementation of infrastructure for IT systems with a focus on storage technologies. Hands on experience with:
- hyperconverged solutions and platforms, as well as large-scale deployment of critical IT security software systems and networking concepts.
- the main cloud service providers (Google, Azure and AWS).
- The interpersonal skills. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English and French. Ability to foster relationships with peers, partners, clients, staff, senior managers and external technological vendors. You can effectively translate technical requirements to non technical business needs. An appreciation for diverse opinions and approaches to problem solving.
- The analytical skills. An innate ability to think through complex issues and design innovative solutions, as well as digging further into issues, removing roadblocks and presenting solutions for immediate and long term.
- The flexibility. Willing to travel between Montreal and Toronto once a month and occasionally, across Canada for short-periods of time when it is safe to do so.
- The bonus skills:
- Hands-on experience with VMware, NetApp and Cisco technologies is an asset.
- Advanced IP routing protocols and virtualization
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, click here. Please note that your application will be handled by Talent Minded (our external partner) and information received will be treated in complete confidence. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders