Python Developer, Video-on-Demand
- Digital Strategy & Products
- Mid Level
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
CBC/Radio-Canada is the largest broadcaster in Canada and this team is at the very heart of its streaming experience. The AV Platform team is responsible for building, maintaining and supporting the workflows that transport CBC and Radio-Canada’s production from our studios across Canada to Canadians’ devices, offering the best online streaming experience.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, we are hiring a Python Developer for a 12-month contract to build a brand new video-on-demand content management software that will be used across the entire organization. You will use the latest tools as well as our proprietary technologies, working on an application that will facilitate video-on-demand access for our audience and our internal teams.
Video streaming is front and centre of our digital strategy. You will make an impact on our ability to offer Canadians the best video experience, creating harmonization with Radio-Canada, and making life easier for internal teams. As the only major media company in Canada with complete I.P. Infrastructure, we are thought leaders and experts in this area. You will have the opportunity to expand your skills with the latest tools to create a video-on-demand application; working across the full SDLC from contributing to the design and front end, to building framework and solution, to testing your code. You will have the chance to be part of something that will impact millions of Canadians on a daily basis and take pride in knowing the work you do is part of the CBC/Radio-Canada commitment to providing access to news, information, sports, and entertainment.
While the work we do is important, so is who you are and the life you have outside of work and we offer a collaborative environment with a strong work-life balance. We believe in celebrating human differences and know that there is no other path to becoming the best public broadcaster for all Canadians. There's still more work to be done, and we are deeply committed to putting all of our corporate, individual, and collective efforts into doing the work. You can learn more here.
If you're passionate about Canada and you love technology, learning, and bringing out the best in others, you'll love working at CBC.
Please note, this is a remote role for someone based anywhere in Canada.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact :
- You will help deliver news, entertainment and sports content to millions of Canadians by building an application that delivers audio and video content through various proprietary and social media platforms.
- You will collaborate across teams on the planning, architecture, coding, and analysis as you work with other teams in the department and with other parts of the organization to create a robust solution.
- You will build APIs to enable access to Video-on-Demand services and contribute the UI workflow for end-users.
- You will learn the latest technology from experts in the field and have a chance to share your expertise with your team members.
What you could bring to our team:
- The education and experience. You may have a diploma or degree in Computer Science or a related field but we know not everyone earns their skills the traditional way. You have a few years of professional experience, working primarily with backend technologies including building APIs, and you have a desire to transition to a full-stack role.
- The communication skills. You thrive in an Agile environment, where collaboration is a priority, and deliverables are met as a team. You know how to listen and relay empathy and understanding for diverse perspectives. Your powers of observation help you understand your audience and communicate with the right level of detail.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
Think this job is meant for you but worried you don’t have it all? At CBC we know that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. You can read about the various backgrounds the talented people that make up our team bring to us here.
Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet all or most of the qualifications we are seeking; and you are excited by the possibility of growing our company, take a chance and express your interest here:
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
CBC/Radio-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if required, and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please contact us.