Agile Team Lead
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Digital Strategy & Products
- Mid Level
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be! Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
We know that commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity is essential to creating content that mirrors and resonates with the rich and evolving makeup of our country. We’re also committed to reaching out and connecting with our audience on multiple platforms; this includes creating virtual places where communities can come together.
Why is this role important?
If you want to enter the world of digital media and be part of the change and growth of one of Canada’s long-established and respected broadcasters, this is your chance. CBC Digital Products is looking for an Agile Team Lead to join our growing team.
We are seeking an Agile Team Leader who empowers the team and individuals to do their best work in ways that are inclusive and creative. We need someone who is able to be a coach; anticipate and understand the needs of the team and of each individual, a strong facilitator of many types of discussions, a mentor to peers, and who is able to creatively problem solve different ways of working. This is an opportunity for a person who has a passion to cultivate teams and business agility; someone who is committed to continuous learning and being a catalyst for positive and lasting change.
If you're passionate about Canada and you love technology, learning and bringing out the best in others, you’ll love working at CBC.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- Pair programming and mentorship opportunities, where you can learn from the best in the industry and help coach new talent;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact:
- Working with teams to analyze current systems and processes and designing a plan to adopt best practices for positive change.
- Able to coach according to team’s needs, leveraging any of the following: Lean and/or, Agile methods, continuous learning, change management, tucker model etc.
- Able to facilitate group discussions, including difficult conversations and decisions.
- Able to conduct rituals such as Daily stand-ups, Sprint Planning and Backlog grooming/refinement.
- Data Driven continuous improvement on team and department practice and processes.
- Educate and mentor staff in Agile best practices such as work prioritization, story mapping, user story creation, release planning, retrospectives, performance etc. while growing capabilities across the department.
- Living our values, learning, continuous improvement, collaboration and inclusion.
What you bring to our team:
- Undergraduate degree or diploma program, or equivalent education.
- The confidence and the humility. Your powers of observation help you understand your team and what they need from you to collaborate within teams and across teams.
- Able to build and mature empowered teams and add to overall department performance, capability and health.
- The experience of facilitating team delivery of online products or services with either Scrum, Kanban, XP, Scrumban.
- The knowledge of Lean methods, Agile principles, continuous learning, change management, product practices, Tucker Model, business agility.
- A strong ability to listen to learn, to observe and assess, and the ability to create space for diverse brainstorming and decision making.
- The desire to learn. You are an avid student, seeking out best practices - and a way to apply them to real-world scenarios.
- The self-awareness to be an empathetic self-starter who takes the initiative, and works with the team to encourage the same mindset.
Please note that this is a 12-month contract opportunity.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.