Solutions Architect (Digital Audio Technologies)
- Full Time
- Digital Product
- Mid Level
Working at CBC:
At the CBC, we all have a story to tell. What’s yours?
If you share our passion for Canadian storytelling and you wish to help us engage with individuals and communities across our various digital platforms, this is where you’ll want to be!
Every day, you will have an opportunity to shape the way in which Canadians see themselves reflected in our digital services. Your work will have a direct impact on how millions of Canadians from various communities connect with our products, with one another, and with the diverse voices that make our country so unique.
You will have the opportunity to play a part in enlightening and entertaining Canadians through our innovative work in building the mediums that deliver our content. We are an innovative hub, where the talented professionals we work with are respected and valued for their contributions. Our product teams are vibrant and our work culture strives to achieve the highest standards of diversity and inclusion. We believe that hiring people with different career paths and backgrounds is fundamental in our shared success and in building healthy and highly performant teams. When you join our mission, you are not only shaping the vision of the CBC, but the future of our country.
Why is this role important?
As the Solution Architect of Digital Audio technologies, you will play an important role in the Agile Engineering and Architecture team helping to design, shape and execute our visions for audio solutions across the CBC Digital Strategy & Products department. Time to market, happy users, reliable, performant and resilient products are some of the reasons why we are looking for your help in building our architecture practice. You will be leading key technical decisions on audio systems to provide the best audio experience to our audience, and will be part of a team that values growth, excellence and innovation. We will bring out the explorer, challenger and trail blazer in you, but we are also grounded in sustainable, extensible and holistic approaches.
Right now, we are undertaking an exciting new integration project, where you can bring your insights and expertise to help guide the discovery and elaboration process. You will focus on understanding the requirements and possibilities for the system design, front end architecture, and integration. You will also be advising on complex technical and architectural issues that require detailed analysis and thoughtful considerations on both functional and non-functional requirements.
You will grow into a technical expert on digital audio content at CBC who plays a critical role helping to define our technological vision of ingesting, managing, distributing audio and creating a best-in-class audience experience.
Here’s why we should work together:
Our digital teams’ values - collaboration, learning, and continuous improvement - embody who we are as a people-focused, digital-forward employer. We follow lean startup principles and use an Agile approach. Our dedicated people managers work closely with every individual to ensure we are leveraging their strengths, championing their ideas and supporting their pursuit of new skills and their desired career progression.
Here at CBC Digital Strategy & Products, we want you to be happy and feel good at work. It is essential that work be a safe space where our employees are able to share their authentic selves with one another and to push each other to challenge conventions.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Flexible work schedules, allowing you to prioritize yourself, your family and your work;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- 20% of time for innovation, learning and development; wherever your interests lie;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
- An environment which favours experimentation and an iterative approach in order to achieve the highest form of technical innovation.
How you will make an impact: (key responsibilities)
You are an experienced technical leader looking to apply and build upon your skills in:
- Handling cross team technical and architectural issues.
- Effectively working across development teams, business units, and across English and French services, leading and facilitating collaborative analysis, solutioning, review and technical decisions.
- Providing consultation, assessment and optimization on architectural design that considers functional integrity, scalability, resilience, stability and operational excellence.
- Balancing business needs, strategies with long term growth and health of the digital ecosystem.
- Defining, auditing and helping implement architectural standards and patterns for common application concerns.
- Building foundational frameworks and technologies, and driving its adoption.
- Ensuring designs adhere to regulatory, governance and certification requirements defined by the industry and governing bodies.
- Participating in the discovery and ideation phase of large initiatives. For instance assisting in build or buy decisions, and providing technology and architectural recommendations.
- Enabling “Listen” digital features across platforms (web, app, connected devices, 3rd party applications) and helping design the next-generation audio streaming ecosystem.
- Delivering solutions that cover broad architectural domains including data models (conceptual and logical), controls, non-functional and operational designs.
- Building the technical interface and relationships between groups that provide, process, and consume audio content.
What you bring to our team: (deal breakers for this role)
- The architecture experience. You have 3+ years in a senior developer, technical leadership or architecture role. You are well versed in architectural principles and key concepts. You have experience in designing and delivering complex software solutions that are performant, scalable and resilient; and a proven ability to develop broad knowledge on systems design, integrations and technologies. You have exposure building audience facing applications on the web and native apps. Ideally, you have experience in enterprise digital audio solutions (live streams, pre-recorded, playlist), including audio formats, metadata and workflow e.g. encoding, editing, distribution.
- The technical expertise. You have considerable experience in system modernization, helping define technical decisions and target state architecture that affect multiple systems and complex data flows. You have expertise in microservice architecture and other data integration patterns, API and data query technologies (e.g. GraphQL). You have experience in data management (ingestion, integration, governance, modeling, storage) and knowledge of data modeling. You understand data management principles (e.g. ACID) and databases, their usages and access (e.g.understanding of distribution of audio content, including CDN and caching.)
- The leadership. You have demonstrated the ability to guide and oversee the work of teams, manage stakeholder interests, and play a critical role as a strategic and tactical technical subject matter expert. You have experience driving department strategies through architecture and innovations. You have led the work of a small team, taking ownership for the deliverables of the team, removing roadblocks, and providing guidance. You are open to diverse perspectives and collaborate on development and other technical areas.
- The interpersonal skills: You are a relationship builder. You know how to listen and empathize with others. You have flexible communication skills and can translate complex technical concepts for a non technical audience. You enjoy working with people and sharing your knowledge with them. You are constantly curious and continuously learning. Bonus points for bilingualism in French and English.
- The education. We are less interested in formal degrees, while you may have an academic background in Computer Science, we value know-how over theory. Qualified candidates may be subject to a practical assessment of the above requirements.
At the CBC, we recognize that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. We value diversity of thought and of experience, and we are excited to hear from you! Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning, and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications and you are excited by the possibility of adding to the rich culture of the CBC, take a chance and express your interest by applying now!
If you’re interested in reading more about the various backgrounds of the talented people that make up our teams, our exciting new projects, and what we’re currently working on, check out our Digital Labs blog on Medium!
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.