Project Lead, Systems Designer (IT & Broadcast)
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Full Time
- Technology & Infrastructure
- Mid Level
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
Behind the scenes, but ahead of the curve: help us develop the next-generation public broadcaster.
Created in 2015 to align, lighten and modernize infrastructure, the Technology and Infrastructure team is the backbone and the future-forward arm of CBC/Radio-Canada. We are the people that make stuff work. We make connections; between media content, systems, people and places. We are the space in between.
A place with purpose. CBC/Radio-Canada has always been a highly-regarded pioneer of media technology. Not just in Canada, but around the world. Today, we’re transforming ourselves from a conventional radio and television broadcaster into a modern digital media company. Technology is the driving force and we are the team making it happen.
CBC/Radio-Canada is looking for a hands-on Project Lead to join our Engineering team, to both lead and take part in projects focused on deploying broadcasting and IT technology. This is a full-time permanent position, and the successful incumbent will be based in Toronto, working primarily on local projects, with eventual and occasional travel to various other sites nationally. CBC/Radio-Canada operates one of the world’s leading technology infrastructures and one of the largest private networks, which distributes its content and services exclusively across the country. In this position, you will play an essential role in the design, optimization, implementation and project delivery, including updating, installing, configuring and testing equipment, software and systems. You will ensure the design and implementation of systems you supervise in accordance with CBC/Radio-Canada and industry best practices as well as current federal and provincial regulations.
What’s in it for you?
Challenges. We spend our days solving problems on an unbelievable scale. Media files are highly nuanced and incredibly complicated; updating, installing and supporting technologies that are organization-wide and that impact broadcasting content is a time-sensitive, complex technical feat. And that’s just the beginning. You will manage the end-to-end project implementation from proposal and procurement to design, implementation, testing and handover. Not to mention, you will be working with cutting-edge technology in data management, cloud migration, IP for broadcast, AI and security and reliability.
Perks you can look forward to:
- Four weeks of vacation;
- Work from home opportunities;
- Competitive total rewards package;
- Free French classes;
- Opportunities to work with cutting edge technology;
- Opportunities for continued learning and professional development;
- Opportunities to become a member of our Employee Resource Groups;
- A creative and dynamic work environment, where your ideas and contributions can be heard, valued and respected;
- A supportive management team committed to upholding the highest standards of diversity and inclusivity;
As our new Systems Designer you will:
- Design innovative, practical solutions to complex problems, particularly where new technologies are to be integrated into existing facilities with an emphasis on client-facing production broadcast workflows.
- Regularly meet with clients and peers to determine requirements and opportunities for optimization of facilities and its capabilities.
- Create and track the schedules and budgets for capital projects; monitoring progress to ensure compliance with scope and objectives.
- Prepare functional, schematic, layout drawings and detailed installation instructions for wiring crews.
- Oversee the procurement from writing and requesting quotes and proposals to evaluating tender responses and making recommendations.
- Verify system performance against design criteria, ensuring identified deficiencies are corrected and providing documentation for ongoing operation and maintenance of facilities.
- Participate in strategic planning, providing expert advice on cost, timeframe and feasibility of capital requirements.
- Create concept designs for review with our business partners.
- Conceptualize alternative solutions which satisfy defined objectives.
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, or a Diploma In Applied Science and Technology.
- Minimum of two years experience in detailed system design and integration and deploying new technologies across an organization, including hands-on expertise with web, virtualization, storage, IT security and networking technologies.
- Experience in the design and implementation of operations facing production workflows and content distribution systems for radio, television and digital platforms as it relates to broadcasting will be considered as an asset
- Hands-on experience with hyper-converged solutions and platforms, as well as large-scale deployment of critical IT security software systems and networking concepts.
- Experience with the Agile approach is preferred, however other hands-on experience in a project management role can be considered.
- Membership, or eligibility to become a member, in the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario or the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists, or equivalent.
- Strong and influential verbal and written communication skills in English; French considered a strong asset.
- Strong analytical skills, with an innate ability to think through complex issues and design innovative solutions, as well as digging further into issues, removing roadblocks and presenting solutions for immediate and long term.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with peers, partners, clients, staff, senior managers and external technological vendors, in addition to being able to effectively translate technical requirements to non-technical business needs and you, can communicate with individuals in a diverse group.
- Ability to work efficiently on a number of projects at different stages with multiple priorities, never losing sight of the details.
- Ability to adapt to new tools and technologies quickly, all while staying up to date with industry best practices.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
Think this job is meant for you but worried you don’t have it all? At CBC/Radio-Canada we know that not everyone takes the same path when it comes to building their skills. Hands-on experience, intelligence, innovation, a passion for learning and a team-focused approach can combine to form the best set of qualifications. If you feel you meet 70% of the requirements we are seeking and you are excited by the possibility of growing our company, take a chance and express your interest. Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
All employees of CBC/Radio-Canada are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of December 1st 2021 unless exempted based on a medical/religious ground. As per this requirement, employees must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all employees. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify if you meet the conditions of employment, you will be asked to provide an attestation confirming your COVID-19 vaccination status.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.